Court of Protection

Where a person has lost mental capacity but has not put an Enduring Power of Attorney or Lasting Power of Attorney in place, it may be necessary to apply to the Court of Protection for a Deputy to be appointed.

The Deputy will be able to manage the vulnerable person’s financial affairs, although his or her powers are limited by the Court of Protection’s order, and their actions will be closely supervised by the Court. A Deputy needs to provide accounts each year or exactly how the person’s money has been spent, and must tell the Court of Protection of any changes in circumstances. Hayes + Storr can help with any of the following:


  • Applications for Deputyship.
  • Acting as Deputy for the vulnerable person, if you prefer not to be appointed yourself.
  • Assisting and advising you with your ongoing duties as a Deputy, including the production of accounts and advice about how and when money can be spent.
  • Applications to the Court of Protection for a Statutory Will, which is where the Court of Protection make the Will for someone without the capacity to do so for themselves.
  • Applications to the Court of Protection for orders relating to specific powers or circumstances, whether in relation to financial matters or a person’s health and welfare.

Court of Protection Team


Need an answer?

For all enquiries please use the link below

Enquiry Form

Contact us

Select an office...