When a relationship breaks down the most difficult issues can often surround the arrangements for children such as:

  • Where are they to live?
  • How much time should they spend with each parent or other members of the family?
  • Where they should go to school?
  • What surname should they use?
  • How should the plans of one parent to move away from the area (or out of the country) affect the other parent?

The Court has the power to make decisions about long term arrangements for children, but it is far better for the parents to reach agreement. We can discuss with you the importance of Parental Responsibility and what the law says this means in reality.

At Hayes + Storr we encourage parents to consider alternative ways of resolving any issues, such as mediation.  Despite this court proceedings are sometimes needed and we can help and provide advice through this very difficult process.

Issues of maintenance can also be discussed to ensure you receive the statutory minimum for the child. We can also discuss the Child Maintenance Service formerly known as the CSA.

It is important to get your advice early and before making any final decisions. We offer a reduced rate fixed fee appointment for all new clients. Please request the family department on 01328 863231 in the first instance for all new family enquires.

Children Team


Need an answer?

For all enquiries please use the link below

Enquiry Form

Contact us

Select an office...